Monday, August 17, 2009

Camp Favorites 2009




The skits and passion play. We followed Moses and the Children of Israel to the Promised Land. I was Jochebed. Oh to raise a son like Jochebed. These daily skits all led up to the passion play which was seeing the plan of salvation through Moses' eyes. We saw the power of sin and the greater power of God.



Myers-Briggs. This summer all the staff got into figuring out their Myers-Briggs. It's a personality test. I am an ISFJ--Introvert, Sensing, Feeling, Judging. It cracked me up how we were always talking about it. "Oh, that's because you're an S!" "That was a very J thing to do..." Funny. It helped us to understand one another better. Most of the staff were Introverts. One day Joel came back from his day off to find Kristin reading, Christy off playing the guitar, me off talking with Olivia, and Shannon (one of the few Extroverts) playing volleyball. It had been a long day, I guess!

God time. I've been reading through Prophets and Kings along with the Bible. Right now I'm in Jeremiah and Ezekiel. The most fascinating thing to me is the idea of Israel playing a harlot--cheating on God and becoming like other nations in order to fill their need of a Savior. I pray that I can stay true to God and not search for other things to fulfill me.

The children. I made friends with a four year old girl named Olivia. She would follow me around and sit with me in chapel. "I'm going to pick where we are going to sit, k?" One night in chapel she leaned over and whispered in my ear "I luff you," in her sweet little French accent. What heart wouldn't melt? Jesus says to be like little children. We can learn from their innocence, willingness to trust, and their propensity to follow you where ever you go.


Wakeboarding. Getting up and heading to Barefoot Bay early in the morning when the water is like glass.







Red, Right, Returning!
Driving (the Nautique of course) to Fish Creek through the channel is one of my favorite things to do. Water lilies flank the boat on either side as we slip through the no-wake-zone at 5 mph. The whole boat engages in pleasant conversation as we look for ducks, dragon flies, and turtles.


The last-night-of-camp-girl-bonding-activity. Enough said.



Lizzy. Kids camps wouldn't be the same without Lizzy. Lizzy has Down's Syndrome. The entire staff gathered around Lizzy as she left, many eyes glistening with tears.


SPs and NYSPs. We had secret pals amongst the staff. An uproar was created when people received gifts from people who weren't their secret pals! This was dubbed "NYSP," or "Not Your Secret Pal."

Jumping Pictures.

Showering in the lake.








Sleeping in the lean-to.
Fresh air is the best.



The Loons.




Seeing God's power. God made Himself known this summer at camp. Getting the bathhouses done by the skin of our teeth, keeping us safe all summer, giving us wisdom, after all, it is His camp.



10 comments:

Christy Joy said...

I love this, I love this, I love this! And you, dear Bekah, were one of my summer's biggest blessings :) I miss our talks about P&K in the lean-to.

bekah said...

oooh thank you Christy! I miss thee!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful blog!

Anonymous said...

My dear Bekah,
Reading this brought smiles and tears!!! Camp isn't the same without ya'LL! Am here for Native American campmeeting! It's so beautiful in the fall! Hugs, smiles and prayers!! Love, Lisa

Kristin said...

Somehow, I missed when you posted this. But I read it this morning and it made me feel warm inside. This summer was an indescribably wonderful blessing from God to me too. Thank you for reminding me of God's goodness.

Katalin said...

Bekah thanks for sharing this...camp is such a wonderful place!!

Unknown said...

u need to update us on ur life!

Christy Joy said...

I agree with Lores. if you update your blog... I might finish fixing the banner! lol! :D :D

Christy Joy said...

OH! And I just wanted to say that I LOVE that picture of you and Lizzy! It is just such a good representation of how fun life is with Lizzy beside you! :D :D :D

bekah said...

I'm going to miss camp this year so bad. SO bad.