Thursday, May 29, 2008

high notes

I just need to do a little bit of venting. One thing that annoys me is when editors put stuff up 8va. I'm practicing a piece of music that has 8vas all over the place. It's driving me up the wall! It's on a computer...it's very simple to transpose things up an octave rather than write 8va. I see the point of it if it were hand written, ledger lines are annoying to hand write. Music done on a computer, however, has no excuse. Flute players love to read ledger lines, and if composers are assuming that flute players can play high Cs, then they ought to assume that flute players can read high Cs. It's especially annoying irksome when the musical line is climbing upward, only to have the physical shape of the phrase chopped in half because it jumps down the octave with an 8va. Well, at least I don't have any horn friends who read this. :) In other news, I have just discovered iGoogle, and am having a blast!

10 comments:

Laurel said...

:) Oh, that annoys me too!!!!! SO much. Have fun with practicing...

Kristin said...

You make me laugh :D I could hear you saying this.

Kristin said...

I realized after I commented that I sounded slightly heartless.
I am sorry for your frustration...
Will we get to hear you play your flute at camp??? Please?! Pretty please! I think it only made one appearance last summer...

Christy Joy said...

heehee, isn't igoogle so much fun!! I have this fun green grass top. it's cool! also, if you look up bGcolor you'll get this cool widget that lets you change the color of the background :D :D

bekah said...

lol, no offense taken, Kristin. as for flute at camp...you better make me practice every single day :)

yes, igoogle is fun! my favorite thing right now is verse a week memorization. it hides words every day. it's great.

Danielle said...

Hey Bekah, check out the new video on my blog. Its aobut the instrument the Theremin... I think it might catch your interest!

Danielle said...

Theremin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremine

What Aram for your senior recital? When do you think you'll be doing your recital?

Christy Joy said...

what about...... eastman school of music?

that would be cool :)

i should call you

Unknown said...

You're not here yet

Brian said...

Wow, I keep thinking about camp cherokee. Tell Jackie and AJ hi for me. I hope you have as great of a Day off crew as we did last summer. Maybe, Lord willing I will be at camp next summer too. Have fun and let God use you. Your friend,

Brian