* * *
I met Mary* in the summertime. My ministry partner and I were helping out another lady in town and she gave Mary our number. After visiting with her we found out that she needed some things for herself and her little son. We called some church members from the SDA church 11 blocks away from our center. (This church is on the West End, a more affluent part of the city.) This was the extent of our relationship for the past few months; we would sporadically visit her, or she would call needing diapers--and we would find people to donate them. It was right before Christmas when we stopped by to visit. As we were visiting, we found out that she didn't have any Christmas presents for her son. My ministry partner said, "Why didn't you tell us?" She responded, "I don't really know what all you's guys do!" After ascertaining what kind of present the little boy would enjoy, we promised to share with her the services that we offer when we came back in the new year. That sounded good to her so we said good bye and left.
* * *
We sat inside Mary's small but inviting living room, joined by her mother and little son. I began to share what we as Simplicity do, and handed her a page with all the services we offer at our community center or in the home. Things like our children's breakfast program (offered Saturday mornings, stories on that coming soon), children and youth Bible study groups, job search assistance, health consultations, community worship on Wednesdays and Saturdays, super-couponing, personal and group Bible studies, etc. As I was sharing, Mary kept her head down, looking at the paper. All at once, her head shot up, she interrupted me and said, "I want personal Bible studies." I paused, a little taken aback at this sudden declaration. I smiled a big grin, "I'd love to study the Bible with you!" I explained that we could pick a time during the week and sit down and study together. I asked her if there was any topic she was particularly interested in studying or wanted to know about. She was silent for a few moments. I thought she was going to say "I don't know," but instead, after pondering it, said "What God thinks about suicide? I know the Bible says from "dust to dust" but is there more?" Wow. I thought. What a question! "Yes, we can take a look at and see what the Bible says about that." Her mom also interjected it would be good to study about topics like guilt and shame. After we wrapped up with prayer, Mary's mom said "Mary's son passed away six years ago next Wednesday, so she's gonna need some extra hugs that day." Hmm, I thought, This is starting to come together.
* * *
I thought and prayed how to address this topic. What do you say to a person whose loved one has committed suicide? I decided to start by putting God's heart on display. When we can fully see God's heart for who He is, then we can fully trust Him. To that end, I've begun the three studies that Mary and I have had so far with these three profound words found in 1 John 4:8: God is love. God is love; therefore He sent His son, Jesus to die for us. God is love; therefore we've been justified by faith and have peace with God! God is love; therefore we can have assurance of salvation and rest totally in Him. In our first study together, I learned that Mary's son did indeed commit suicide six years ago. God is love; therefore we can trust Him fully with the hearts of others. God is love; therefore He overlooks in our ignorance. God is love; therefore He binds up our wounds. God is love.
*not her real name
2 comments:
Powerful testimony! This resonates with me deeply. Thank you for sharing Bekah!
Wow! What a study! So amazed by you, Beks! Thanks for letting God work through you.
Post a Comment