Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Yesterday "Amber" of the previous post decided to stop studying with me.  There had been a spiritual battle for a few weeks.  After talking with Amber's Adventist neighbor, and guidance from the Holy Spirit, I decided to do a study which puts the heart of God on display.  It's based on David Asscherick's The Heart of God class at ARISE* and also his book God in Pain. The Bible tells us in 1 John 4:8 that God is love.  He is not simply loving but is love.  Once we accurately define love, we can better grasp God's character of love.  For the sake of time while writing this blog (as blogs can take me hours to write) I will be brief.  It all points to the cross.  How do we know that all things work together for good?  (Romans 8:28)  The evidence is the cross.  The very heart of God displayed.  It revealed what was in God's heart from the beginning (Romans 1:16, 17).  I ended with Romans 8:32--"He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?"  The cross says that God is for us!  If God has already given everything, why would He then withhold anything?

So I get to Amber's house.  Her dog was sprayed by a skunk (very lightly).  A quick text to my dad solved the proportions for the baking soda and peroxide mixture in which to bathe the dog.  Then Amber told me that she was going to join the Baptist church in town and go to the Bible study before church, and not study with me anymore.  I wasn't surprised, but my heart sank.  I have seen Amber grow by leaps and bounds.  She now has a really good foundation for learning Bible truth.  We chit chatted some more and then I said "well, shall we study?"  We did the study.  She was visibly touched.  And those large, curious eyes which always had frequent eye contact with me were lowered and filled with tears.  At the end she prayed, repeating after me, to have Jesus fully in control of her life.  Bittersweet. 

Warning: this is a rough (as in not polished) blog, because I am writing in haste.  I don't believe there is anything more I could have done to keep Amber studying.  But it makes me angry.  It makes me angry that she will go to the Baptist church and learn about a God who torments people forever in the flames of hell.  That once you're saved you don't have to worry about anything...because you can never fall away.  That suddenly all the believers will disappear in a secret rapture.  I know she knows that is not true because when she watched the "Left Behind" movies she told me how funny they were because it wasn't true.  "People believe that?"  Yes...the church which you are now going to join believes that.  It makes me angry (not the throwing glass bottles against a wall kind) that the lady who I care about so much could possibly be led to deception.  Please join me in prayer that she will remember the things we have studied in the Bible.  That she won't simply believe what the preacher or teacher says.  That something will happen and that she will want to study again.  That she will still have the sincere desire to know truth and most importantly the God who revealed His love in a Savior upon the cross.   

Hanging upon the cross Christ was the gospel.**


*For a full length sermon on the topic visit here, but if you want to experience the full length class then go here :).

**{6BC 1113.1}

3 comments:

Christy Joy said...

Oh Beks, I'm sorry! That is definitely a disappointing wall to come up against and I understand your frustration with where she's headed.

We've been planting our garden seeds these last few weeks and it's been neat to watch them pop up. The cucumbers are by far the fastest - all the others are still buried under their brown blankets.

Barry and I have also been talking about our summer plans - we may have to be gone for a while and are discussing who might be able to take care of our garden.

So we plant the seeds and watch them grow from tiny little sprouts to large towering plants, but our neighbors might actually get to harvest.

I know God has beautiful, wonderful plans for "Amber" and this setback is confusing and angering. But don't underestimate our God who can take the small tenderling that you have planted and cared for and use someone else 10-20 years down to road to harvest the fruit.

Love you Bekah.

Kristin said...

Oh Bekah... I've been praying for Amber, and I prayed for her this morning before I read this post. I'm so sorry, and I can empathize with the "anger." It's the same anger I feel when I know that people I love are making decisions that I know, and they know, are harmful to them.

I miss you tons, and I'll be praying extra for you. Love you, Bekah Lynne!

Caitlin said...

Dearest Bekah,
I like what Christy said :) and I started thinking about seeds and what I've learned... perhaps it may be encouraging.

The germ for life is in the seed, and every seed is different.

Some, like those hidden in the cones of the Jack Pine, are released only by the intense heat of fire. When they sprout and grow these young trees are home to the Kirtland's warbler, an endangered species that only nests in Jack Pine trees 5 - 20 years old in a few northern counties in MI.

I find that the lessons of nature mirror the spiritual. The seeds are there and God will do everything possible to encourage them to germinate. The rains, winds, the sun, and yes even the fire - are all God's responsibility.

Our responsibility is to plant and spread seed where ever we can, to nurture and protect the seedlings, and to fertilize and stake up the saplings . . .

But only God can do the growing - only God can make tree.

And when the seeds sprout and persist into trees you may be surprised to find who else may find a home in their branches.

With much love and prayers,
Caitlin