Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Who is worthy?

This past Sabbath I had the privilege to start studying the Bible with a girl in high school. It was a wonderful study--she was eager with many questions, and clearly had a desire to know more and to follow Jesus. But after that study I had this incredible feeling that I was unworthy. Unworthy to have the sacred task of leading someone to Jesus. What if I say the wrong thing? What if I don't say it in the right way? What about all the growth that needs to happen? What if I mess it up? I felt a huge, overwhelming burden and responsibility weighing on me. Then I remembered Jesus. Surrender her to Jesus. Jesus is worthy.

"Then I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, "Who is worthy to open the scroll and to loose its seals?" So I wept much, because no one was found worthy to open and read the scroll, or to look at it. But one of the elders said to me, "Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals."

"Woirthy is the Lamb who was slain to receive power and riches
and wisdom, and strength and honor and glory and blessing!"


I'm so glad that Jesus uses a sinful human being like me to share the sweet gospel message.
I'm so glad that Jesus is worthy.

"Then the four living creatures said "Amen!" and the twenty-four
elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever."

.

7 comments:

Laurel said...

Such an encouragement!!! Jesus IS worthy!

Christy Joy said...

You know, this same concept proves true in all kinds of situations. For example, I had a really hard time figuring out how in the world I could actually tell Barry I loved him when my own heart is so sinful. Who can truly love but God? But the same realization hit me, I am not worthy, but He is. And He somehow equates His own worthiness onto me and somehow I can learn to love as He loves. So therefore, I can tell someone I love them with confidence, knowing that it is not I, but Christ in me.

Andrew Whtilow said...

"Humans can offer the right words and actions, but it is only the power of Jesus that gives them meaning to change lives." -DA

Unknown said...

Mmmm, Amen my dear! And very awesome thought, CJK. Any love we give is actually Christ's love. Any truth we spread of Jesus is His power, His message, His worthiness through us. Awesome!

bekah said...

Amen, Laurel. And congrats are in order for you!

Yes Christy! Jesus is worthy and with Him dwelling inside me I am able to share with others.

Andrew, wow, thank you for that quote! It's powerful, and sums it all up quite nicely.

Lorrie, yes, you're so good with words. Exactly!

Anonymous said...

thank you bekah! there is also a good sermon by D.A. about "The 15 Most Common Mistakes made by New Soul Winners", it is very helpful and interesting.

Elissa said...

I love this post, Bekah! That feeling sometimes overwhelms me, too, so I really resonated with your words, but in the end it's really the most encouraging thing you can know.. it's not about you, it's about HIM. Praying for you!