Friday, January 11, 2008

a note job

I am in orchestration and arranging with Dr. Ashton. We had this assignment that was described as the following:

"Copy parts for the 1st and 2d oboes and the 2d clarinet from Haydn's Symphony No. 104 in D Major. Place each instrument on a separate staff on the same page. For the last eight measures, give the 2d oboe a performance cue of the viola line (watch the clef) and provide a performance cue of the 1st oboe part for the last 8 measures in the clarinet."

Ok. What does that sound like to you? I assumed it was in score form, since that is what we had done the day before, and it said "on the same page." So that night I began to work on it--for two hours, completing a whole 5 measures out of 15. I labored on it painstakingly--drawing all lines and stems with rulers. Lining up all notes vertically with my ruler. My pink pearl eraser was my trusty side-kick the whole way. (It has undoubtedly lost a little weight through the journey.) Then I got to the "cues" part. This seemed odd to me. Why would the book want me to write cues in for a score? Then I read "copy parts." Oh no! Could it be that I was supposed to extract separate parts for each instrument? (Who would want a score of 2 oboes, 2nd clarinet, and viola cues anyway?) I immediately stopped what I was doing. I would ask Dr. Ashton later. I checked his office multiple times, but alas he was in absentia. I waited until after orchestra to ask him. Yes, I was supposed to have extracted the parts and made them separate. The book told us "on the same page" so we could save paper. Wasn't that nice of them? "Well...I already started doing it in score. I've been working on it for two hours...do you think I could do surgery on it?" He said, "Ok, this time, and if it's neat." Yes. I didn't have to start over.

So tonight I listened to Mahler 1 (By the way, I adore how Claudio Abbad
o and the Beliner Philharmoniker start the 2nd mvt. slower and then do an accelerando.) whilst doing the cutting. It started thunder storming.


^My beautiful score. (Sorry it's a fuzzy pic)


^I don't want to cut up my beautiful work!


^After I cut the Oboe I part off the top.


^The Oboe I part, surgery complete. Cutting and pasting is much easier on a computer.


^The Oboe II part, complete with Viola cues.


^I just finished. I'm going to bed! Being a surgeon is stressful.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear! so the horridly neat piece of music that you were so painstakingly working on when i saw you in the library wasn't right!? I'm sorry! I like your surgery job though! Hope you got some rest :D:D

Kristin said...

It looks beautiful though :)

Hope you don't have to cross over into the medical field again in the future ;)

Kelsey said...

Oh dear Bekah! How terrible! Though it appeared you did an excellent editing job. I must comment that the notes looked beautiful... nearly like type. What diligence! : )

Joel said...

That sounds like a lot of work, although the result is very nice:)

FWIW, I think you should get musicwriting software. That might make things easier...:P

btw, I thought it was about time I put a link to your page on my blog. I hope you don't mind ;)

bekah said...

Christy...no it wasn't right...I was writing the right notes but it wasn't supposed to be in score form. good thing it wasn't the rite of spring. (sorry, I just wanted to use a different form of wright.)

kristin...yes I'm quite happy in my major! Last night was fun sitting next to you!

kelsey...thanks...can't wait to see those pillows (another thing that requires careful diligence).

joel...yes, I might use finale in the future...but Dr. Ashton hasn't said that we can use it yet, and I think he doesn't want us to quite yet...b/c he wants us to learn how to write neatly and correctly. And I'm not entirely sure that I want to use it, b/c sometimes it has caused me to be very angry. and you made me green :)

bekah said...

p.s....thank you to my nice friends who are concerned for my safety. I have wonderful friends :)

Brian said...

Awesome, I didn't know you were a surgeon! Surgery is imbued with such a huge amount of responsibility, doesn't it. Boy, you could have sliced the head right off one of those notes and it would have be all over for that poor little soul! : ).
Wow, your homework makes nursing school look easy!

bekah said...

Joel...I just finished my latest orchestration assignment...E flat clarinet, 2 B flats clarinets, and a bass clarinet. I did it in finale and it only took me 2 hours!

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Bekah! I didn't know you had a blog! Very nice piecework! Can most second oboes read viola clef? hmm... I'll have to start working on it :). Great job!